Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Initially, I was nervous as I had never taught snowboarding, and for most of the girls this would be their first time. I definitely was thinking things like, what if I taught them wrong or wasn’t able to help them have fun. I wasn’t saying anything about these feelings but I was feeling them. So, when we got on the mountain almost EVERY single girl after putting their boards on, and listening to our lesson, was unsure of us and snowboarding in general. The look on their faces said, oh No, this is too hard. This had the other mentors and I worried, however, after ignoring the grumbling we got them up the hill. Then each of us mentors started working one on one with each of the girls and within about two hours we got all of the girls riding down and most of them learned to stop without falling. Not only were they riding but they were having FUN! We mentors were shocked, and TOTALLY stoked because the girls were not only having fun, but they were doing SOOOOOO incredibly well. Each of them made me proud to have helped them, as I had been insecure that I wouldn’t be able to help them progress. Not only did I enjoy seeing them happy but their successes made ME PROUD and SO HAPPY! Thanks Ladies!

-Evelyn Aguilar

No comments:

Post a Comment